Wednesday, August 11, 2010

At It Again

A little over a week ago, Ryan's Dad and brother came in town to install closet doors, more crown molding, and the chair rail in the kitchen. They also put the first layer of mud on the kitchen and drywall where the elevator was previously. Everything looks so good!!


Master bedroom closets and bathroom door
BEFORE:

AFTER:

Then, as soon as the weekend started Ryan and I jumped right back on the to-do list. Friday night we got wild and crazy and finished painting our bedroom. We love the color!! It was our first try this time ;). Then Saturday morning Ryan finished the invisible fence outside. Hallelujah! Between renting equipment, borrowing equipment, digging not one but two ditches around our huge backyard, and pushing a wire down into each of them, I'd have to say that was quite the project and I'm very proud of Ryan for finishing it. Meanwhile I was touching up the bedroom paint in the daylight and putting the second and third coat on the front door. Ryan painted the second coat on the shutters and cleaned up the garage a bit. Then my parents came in town for a spur of the moment visit just to say hi, take us to lunch, and see our house progress. It was good to see them! Then we did some furniture switching and it was time to get ready for dinner. We had our friends, Chrissy and Jordan, over for a candlelit dinner and we had a blast! Haha, I say candlelit because it was storming so bad that the lights went out for a few seconds right before we ate so we lit candles just in case. The best part of it was that since Ryan and I don't have a dining room table yet Jordan and him sat together on the lift top coffee table and Chrissy and I sat together on the two person high top table. The boys were cute eating with candles and wine. Haha.
New bedroom color

New stools for the end of the bed

2 ditches dug all the way around our backyard and then wire stuffed in them

This was a huge feat especially in the summer heat

told you we had a candlelit dinner - haha - so much fun!

Oh yeah, and Wednesday night we changed out our front porch light and put our address on the house. I absolutely love the way it turned out. We hated our dinky little light and we knew we wanted a much bigger one, so we kept our eyes peeled and ordered this one. It is so much brighter and really stands out from the street (not that anyone else would probably notice, but we do!). And we really like the addition our our house numbers. I can't wait to add it to my wall collage!
Front porch light
BEFORE:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

AFTER:

And now for our Sunday project -- a headboard. I've been wanting to make an upholstered headboard for a while now. So after I picked out the fabric and bought the supplies, Ryan and I watched a couple tutorials and got started! I knew I wanted a large patterned fabric, curves on the headboard itself, and it to be tall tall tall to add a little drama to the room. I LOVE the way it turned out!!! I swear, I think my husband can make anything. He did say on Sunday that he likes my projects because he gets to buy a new tool each time. Haha.

Have a look...
This is what we started with - a big piece of plywood

then started drawing


Ryan made a protractor out of zip-ties and a pencil :)
Jigsaw time!
Safety first!
close up
Ta-dah!

Then we laid the board on the foam and traced the pattern

Ryan used our electric knife to cut the foam


Then we used spray adhesive to glue the foam to the wood



Now for the batting...

Just staple it on

Headboard now with foam and batting

Then you do the same with the fabric and...
WAL-LAH!

And now with new bedding

Close up of fabric

Master bedroom
BEFORE:

Master bedroom
AFTER:

BEFORE:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Oh yeah, and my new chandelier!! It makes me smile.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

All that's left is a little accessorizing, window treatments, and photos, but we absolutely LOVE our new bedroom!!!

Oh yeah, and we had a date night somewhere in there to celebrate his promo! Cheers!
xoxo


13 comments:

Kate said...

It is so beautiful!! I love the headboard Rae :)

Natasha said...

rach,
everything looks amazing and all your hard work is most certainly paying off...can't wait to see all the changes and get a candlelight dinner of my own--haha!! OXOX

Ashley Morrow Schuller said...

i love your headboard!! everything is looking so cute :)

The Fields Family said...

Your place is looking awesome!!! You need to send your before and after photos to Young House Love. Where did you get those two benches at the end of your bed? They are great!

Amy Wells said...

Rachel! Your room looks beautiful! I love upholstered headboards....you're tempting me to make my own now! :)

Unknown said...

Wow! I LOVE the headboard! You inspired Brian and I to start doing stuff in our house. We can't do much since we live in on-post housing but we did paint our little office and we love it. It isn't done yet. I still need accessories, but it is funny because you walk through the whole house and the only room painted is our little office, ha! Glad all your remodeling is going well! I can't wait to see more pictures!

Leighton said...

Looks SOOO good! I LOVE LOVE LOVE this post! I am still waiting on 'iced' pictures :) and how we managed to stay out of all of it :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, Rachel! Nice work :)

AshleyMargaret said...

rachel, you guys are doing SUCH an awesome job! i love all the renovations- you've got great taste :)

Nida Rab said...

i absolutely LOVE the headboard -- it looks fantastic! you and Ryan are a great team, and i'm so impressed with everything y'all have done! can't wait to see it in person :)

Leslie Walker said...

I am so impressed!!!! I am totally hiring you to decorate our house when we buy one :)

Ms. Emmy N said...

Wow! You guys did such a fantastic job! You are so talented and everything looks great! I love your master bedroom! We are about to move into our new place, and you are inspiring me to get creative, and be a bit more hands on!

Lacey said...

Very pretty! Love your master.